Sunday, December 5, 2010

Exploring Grounds: Plays (Part 1)

All I usually write are stories and video game ideas. But I feel that I have the ability to write in any form of writing. And the first one I want to talk about is theater, specifically plays.

Plays frighten me for many reasons. One, there's that whole stage thing that bugs me when you think about writing them. In stories, when a character moves around the room, you have a little more flexibility with the space of the scene. Sure, it's going to have some finite structure but there's no way they can run into things without you wanting them to.
 
The number of settings have to be limited  too. You can't have your characters traveling around the world, so that every so often, the stage crew needs to run out and move stuff around(respect to stage crew members). So you end up with the same three setting all of the time.

The stage crew is another problem of mine. I don't really enjoy the fact that, every so often, men and women in black clothing come running out on stage, trying to hide but you can still see them. That, for me, kills the feel of a performance. I love the illusion that movies provide, and that dies when you see a table being picked up and visibly moved off stage.

<It's late, so I'm going to finish this later. Bye for now>

No comments:

Post a Comment